Media Insurance

A expert guide about media insurance protection in the digital age

Below we explain how to protect your business against legal liabilities with media insurance in the digital world. Advertising, publishing, broadcasting, marketing, film production, and entertainment companies, will all need to consider the coverage.

 About Media Insurance from Willis Towers Watson Network

Why media insurance is important for every agency and production?

As a Willis Towers Watson Network Broker, we work with the leading insurers and can offer specialist media insurance services to our clients. Below we explain how media insurance, or TV & film prodution insurance can protect your business against unexpected legal liabilities. 

 Allianz Insurance Brand
 Beazley Insurance Brand
 CFC Underwriting Brand
 Chubb Insurance Brand
 Hiscox Insurance Brand
 Lloyds of London Brand
 The Hartford Brand
 Tokio Marine HCC Brand

What is media liability insurance?

Media insurance is specialist liability coverage designed for advertisers, publishers, broadcasters, producers, and other media companies, that provides financial protection from compensation claims.

Media businesses need protection from breach of contract, breach of professional duty, breach of copyright, defamation (libel and slander), false and misleading statements, invasion of privacy, and trademark infringement claims.

As specialist media insurance brokers, we can help your agency or film production secure the right coverage at an affordable cost because we work some of the best insurance companies in the market.

 Media Liability Insurance Explained

How media insurance, or TV & film production insurance offers financial protection?

Depending upon your activities, a combined media insurance policy can incorporate a number of covers, such as professional indemnity, cyber insurance, public liability, employers liability and equipment insurance. Whereas TV & film production insurance is a specialist cover usually provided for three years to meet the contractual requirements of the major broadcasters.

Looking for media insurance? Talk with one of our expert insurance brokers about your business needs

Get indemnity™ media liability insurance quotes can start at £322 annually or £26.83 monthly

Understand why your business needs tailored media insurance?

There are many different types of business activities that could benefit from the protection provided by a media insurance policy. Below we identify different business activities and consider media liability claims examples.

Advertising & marketing

Communicating a client's brand and message correctly to stakeholders has the potential to cause significant claims. Simple mistakes can't be rectified easily, and high damages may be sought when dealing with recognisable brands. Advertising agencies, direct marketing companies, public relations companies, media buyers, social media agencies, market research companies, and marketing consultants will all need media liability coverage to protect from claims.

TV & film production

Whether producing films, television programmes, or theatre shows, you should ensure you purchase the most appropriate policy coverage to meet your contractual requirements. The largest exposure for film and television producers is the obtaining and clearing of licenses and consents from third party contributors. Note we can include purchasers, distributors, co-producers or any third party that has a financial interest in the production as an additional insured on the policy to satisfy any contractual liability. TV and film production insurance can offer flexible coverage for the length of time the production is to be broadcast.

Publishers insurance

Whether publishing your own content or publishing content on behalf of others, the persons responsible can become the target of civil litigation. The reach of the internet has increased the risks historically associated with print media, such as defamation, intellectual property infringement and breach of privacy. It's worth noting the value associated with copyrighted and trademarked content or brands is remains very high and businesses will seek to claim compensation should you damage their reputation.

Broadcasters insurance

Whether you manage a TV studio, radio station, or podcast, you can be held responsible for the content you broadcast. The impact of legal action arising from libel, slander, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement and contextual mistakes, carry a significant financial risk. Live talk shows, documentaries or reality programmes with unscripted dialogue remains challenging. With the threat of defamation difficult to manage and costly, the ability to find the right policy coverage can be difficult.

Content creation

The expansion of the digital world has created made new forms of media more readily available. Content creators, copywriters, journalists, bloggers, digital marketing, video content creators, photographers, videographers and editing services, will all require media liability insurance. Defamation claims, breach of privacy, copyright infringement, and breach of contract claims are common areas of concern for companies involved in producing content on behalf of their clients.

Social media influencers

Social media has changed the marketing landscape, transforming the way consumers make purchasing decisions. Many brands have increased their spend on social media channels, utilising celebrities to endorse their products and services. Breach of contract, advertising legislation, and privacy regulations should be key considerations for all social media influencers.

How does our business compare media liability insurance quotes from the market?

Speak with one of our specialist brokers about our media insurance services

Specialist media professional indemnity insurance

Media professional indemnity insurance is the most commonly purchased policy coverage and will provide financial protection against the failure to exercise reasonable skill and care. Obviously, companies aim to provide their services error free, however mistakes invariably happen and you could be faced with large liabilities.

Specialist media and entertainment

Productions and events can be hampered by an array of losses, from damaged equipment to injured cast. We can help accommodate event organisers, performers, producers and support trades in the entertainment industry.

Property coverage and business interruption

Whether it’s a film production or a live event, the range of activities, techniques, personnel and equipment vary and require very different insurance solutions. That's why we can tailor the policy coverage available to deliver the right solution to meet your needs.

How much does media insurance cost?

The premiums charged by insurers will be indicative of the risk of a potential claim made against the policy. As your exposure and size of the business grows, so will the cost of your media liability insurance.

For example, a small business that creates online video content with a turnover less than £100,000, could expect to pay £322 annually or or £26.83 monthly for £1 million of professional indemnity insurance.

We work with a number of specialist insurers which can accommodate the simple, to the very complex risks, which require responsive policy coverage to help meet their business needs.

What additional media insurance covers are available?

There are a variety of different business insurance covers available to help protect your company and yourself individually from compensation claims that could have serious consequences. As a media insurance broker, we can also provide cover for film equipment with high sums insured, and public liability for film production.

Get your business covered with a cost-effective media liability insurance policy from £322 per year

Talk to one of our expert media insurance brokers about your company needs

Why media and entertainment insurance is important for companies?

Media and entertainment insurance is more important now than ever before, given the litigious environment, implementation of digital technologies, global reach of publications, and riskier strategies to grow audience base.

Litigious environment

However diligent, mistakes happen and society is increasingly litigious. Claims for defamation, copyright infringement, invasion of privacy and negligence are commonplace.

Geographic scope

Digital content is effortlessly accessible, and widespread, with no geographical boundaries. Trends are emerging for riskier material with an emphasis on speed over accuracy.

High court awards

Providing content in the modern world is fraught with danger and open to potentially devastating claims that can destroy reputations and balance sheets.

Frequently asked questions

Do we need a media insurance broker?

The vast majority of insurers will only offer their products through licensed intermediaries. We can also offer guidance and advice in choosing the best solutions and tailor them to meet your individual business needs. Insurance contracts are complicated and its worth having an experienced broker to help with your decision making.

What does media and entertainment insurance include?

Media and entertainment insurance includes a number of different policy covers that can be tailored to meet your business needs. Professional indemnity, public liability, employers liability, and contents insurance are the most commonly purchased.

What media services pose a low and medium media risk?

Advertising agents, audio visual design, authors, broadcasters, content creators, copywriters, digital agencies, digital marketing, freelance writers, independent contractors, editing services, event organisers, festival organisers, film distributors, film production, freelancer producers, social media influencers, marketing consultants, music production agencies, photographers and videographers, public relations agencies, press agencies, publishers, radio stations, SEO agencies, social media agencies, theatre production, TV production, and visual effects.

What media services pose a high risk?

Computer games, direct marketing, lead generation, list broking, music publishers, printing services. Plus content involving which involves adult material, celebrity orientated, gambling, investigative, reality TV, talk shows, and are politically motivated.

What is media errors and omissions, or E&O insurance?

Media errors and omissions, otherwise known as media E&O insurance is more commonly referred to in North America. However, some insurers products may refer to E&O because they are US insurers operating in the UK. The product names are interchangeable, but the cover provided is effectively the same as professional indemnity insurance.

Can you provide libel insurance for journalists?

The short answer is 'yes'. We can accommodate journalists and authors that discuss real people and events. Obviously, the risk of claims arising from libel increasing significantly. Therefore, insurers may require further information about a legal review process, or they may wish to review a copy of the legal advice that has been provided to you.

Related articles and guides

Social Media Risks-min.jpg
Social media insurance - how to protect your business online?

With greater numbers of UK companies now creating social media accounts, consideration should be made to social media insurance protections.

Civil liability insurance and negligence-min.jpg
Civil liability insurance and professional negligence explained

Claims brought under negligence occur when a service provider doesn’t perform their responsibilities to the level required of a reasonably competent person within their profession.